Character Sprite Sheet
Idea generation and design process
In my research, I looked at different types sidescrolling games for inspiration. I have always been interested in sci-fi and when I realised that there aren’t that many space-based platformers, I decided that I would create one.
To help the development of the visual style for my game, I created different boards on Pinterest for the level, character/entity and prop designs. I settled on having the background in grayscale and the entities in vibrant colours so that they would stand out and be easily recognisable.
Links to Pinterest boards:
What was good and what needs improvement?
Final aim/How much further would I have taken it
Compared to my original idea, the final version of the game I created differed quite a bit.
The final aim of the game would have been to progress through the station to fix a faulty AI that was damaged in a meteor storm and now wants to kill all people on the station. The player would’ve had to solve puzzles and defeat the station drones to open airlock doors to progress to the next pod, picking up tools and weapons along the way to help them. The final part of the game would have been a ‘boss battle’ between the player and the station AI, with the player trying to reset it and the AI trying to kill the player. The player would also have been helped by a narrator/text boxes that would convey the storyline and direct the player where to go and how to complete the game.
I also wanted to make the players perspective invert when they were on the other side of the station to make it seem like the gravity was constantly changing and help sell the idea that the game is in space with no clear ‘Up’ and ‘Down’.
What I think worked
I think the game concept I came up with was different and fills a gap in the 2d scroller market.
I like the final design of the station, it is quite minimalist and, due to its lack of colour, makes the interactable elements such as the player and other entities stand out. I also like the way the character walks and how the space background stays stationary behind the level, giving the game a false sense of perspective.
The way the player interacts and uses the ladder was quite difficult to implement and I was never happy with it, which caused the last version to not work altogether. The jumping mechanic could have also been improved as the code was designed for normal gravity rather than space and so didn’t quite feel right when moving around.
I think I could have managed my time better, as I spent a long time in the planning stages and didn’t have much time/ resources to make the actual game.
If I had more time on this project, I would implement the rest of the features into the game, such as the enemies, items, an inventory system and interactable doors that open and close. I would also improve the ladder system work better as it is fairly buggy at the moment. Hopefully, in my free time, I will be able to make a fully completed version of this game as I have enjoyed designing and making it.