Introduction to the Brief
“Your client, a large game publisher, requires you to design the interface elements for a new console-based racing game. The game world and tracks are based on the streets of London; you can identify your own routes.
The game involves a series of races between 3 teams using electric concept cars to promote new technology and sustainability. The environment and car graphics have a photorealistic look. Your interface must communicate game information but also help support the storyline of the game. Your designs must include: Track maps / speedometer / Way-Finding (e.g direction arrows) / start lights / placing / Lap / Checkpoints / Fuel gauge but you can include any other interface item that you feel is necessary.
In addition to the general interface, you also need to devise names and design a colour scheme, identity and logo for the 3 different race teams you propose.”
Week 1 – 09/01/17 – Planning
- Plan Hud research and design
Week 2 – 16/01/17 – Research
- Driving Game research – write about two examples
- Driving Game Timeline
- Research Copyright and Branding laws
Week 3 – 23/01/17 – Research
- Specific icons/displays from existing cars
- Car Dashboards
- Think about team names and ideas for the game concept.
Week 4 – 30/01/17 – Ideas: Initial sketchbook ideas
- Team name ideas
- Rough logo designs
- HUD concept elements
Week 06/02/17 – Design: Sketchbook work
- Develop logo designs
- Develop HUD elements
Week 13/02/17 – Design: Digital work
- Create team stylesheet
- Final Logo Designs
- Team cars
- Colour swatches
- Create HUD mock-up
Week 20/02/17 – Evaluation
- Describe and evaluate final design
- Talk about how the final design was reached
- Compare HUD to professional HUDs from existing video games.
Week 27/02/17 – Finish off
- Complete any unfinished work